Fauxku Choo Choo (the play's the thing)
(11-29-2015, 03:11 PM)rayheinrich Wrote:  
(11-29-2015, 01:25 PM)ronsaik Wrote:  lenses, flames, the siege of Syracuse -
poor Archimedes
betrayed by Artemis

Him the huntress slew, a pity
but poorer they of that Assuwan city
levelled by Mighty Aphrodite.

To be picky: Since the Romans were doing the conquering, it wouldn't be Aphrodite but Venus.
And more picky: What's Aphrodite or Venus doing leveling a city (unless, somehow, it was leveled by
love... or some passion the Romans had for war??). If leveling was to be done by a Roman goddess,
it would be Artemis' Roman parallel: Diana. And hell, as long as we're going that far, I'd give credit to
the Roman god Mars. But that aside, I grant you 100 points for "Assuwan city". Esoteric you are dude!

Actually, I was making a casual reference to (completely unrelated to Archimedes and Syracuse, of course) Troy. The Trojan war owes its origins to the 'judgement of Paris' wherein he chose Aphrodite as the most beautiful of the three goddesses who randomly popped up before him one day.
You know, I just realised that Aphrodite was on the side of the Trojans and hence my last line does not make sense....but then again, you could say that wittingly or unwittingly, Aphrodite's making Helen runaway with Paris ultimately levelled Troy, so maybe she wasn't on their side after all, just having fun with poor mortals.
Him the huntress slew, a pity
but poorer they of that Assuwan city
levelled by Mighty Aphrodite.

pity the poor memory
the gods tumble nameless
gone with geometry
billy wrote:welcome to the site. make it your own, wear it like a well loved slipper and wear it out. ella pleads:please click forum titles for posting guidelines, important threads. New poet? Try Poetic DevicesandWard's Tips

pity the poor memory
the gods tumble nameless
gone with geometry

circles and squares
attempt to tumble the triangles -
political geometry
feedback award wae aye man ye radgie
circles and squares
attempt to tumble the triangles -
political geometry

Above Lafayette Square
the oval office attempts
math.
I'm Above Lafayette Square
the oval office attempts
math.

Ball stalls above
green oval; falling, flash of bearhands:
catch.
    Ball stalls above
    catch.

the curve of a ball
    cousin to the oval, the parabola
    in its beauty we forget
    it's ballistic trajectory

i used to know a lotta stuff, but i still have eight cats
(12-04-2015, 02:50 PM)rayheinrich Wrote:       Ball stalls above
    catch.

the curve of a ball
    in its beauty we forget

actually.... i was thinking of a cricket oval, the field on which the game is played  Big Grin
the curve of a ball
in its beauty we forget

The curve of a butt
firm in contrast
balls peeking
billy wrote:welcome to the site. make it your own, wear it like a well loved slipper and wear it out. ella pleads:please click forum titles for posting guidelines, important threads. New poet? Try Poetic DevicesandWard's Tips

The curve of a butt
firm in contrast
balls peeking

Ah, Spring!
The inspiration for ball games.
The balls, their curves:
Snug, in the curves of hands.

P.S. @ronsaik:
ronsaik wrote: actually.... i was thinking of a cricket oval, the field on which the game is played  Big Grin
ray wrote:
Hath not a cricket ball stitches? Hath not a cricket ball a core, leather,
a round continence? Throw by the same hands, hurt with the same
weapons, subject to the same physical forces, warmed and cooled by
the same winter and summer, as the baseball is? If you bat it, does it
not describe a ballistic trajectory? If you catch it, does it not sting?
If it hits you in the head, can you not die?
Ah, Spring!
The inspiration for ball games.
The balls, their curves:
Snug, in the curves of hands.

Deceived by a wicked curve,
the batsman 'ballsed' it up
and lost his middle wicket.

For those unaware of the rules of cricket they are simply as follows - 
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game. Usually takes about 5 days and the result is usually a draw.
feedback award wae aye man ye radgie
Note: all this falls within the rules of Fauxku Choo Choo. See rule 8, and the definition of "TINY" in rule 4.
ambrosial revelation said: For those unaware of the rules of cricket they are simply as follows - 
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game. Usually takes about 5 days and the result is usually a draw.

ray said: I'm always listening to BBC World Edition over here on my public radio station.
They have a sports segment which, among other things, reports on world cricket matches.
I've always been a bit confused by the reports; but thanks to your explanation, I think I've
finally been able to grasp the gist of the thing. Thanks.
Deceived by a wicked curve,
the batsman 'ballsed' it up
and lost his middle wicket.

seems balls are not nuts
but ray's ovaries are
we meat in the middle

seems balls are not nuts
but ray's ovaries are
we meat in the middle

O very strange was the Maker
who, for stage 2, pushed the balls
up the middle to become breasts
O very strange was the Maker
who, for stage 2, pushed the balls
up the middle to become breasts

I praised the hand of the Maker,
how naive would I look to you -
fake breasts I took to be true
        I praised the hand of the Maker,
        how naive would I look to you -
        fake breasts I took to be true

What's in a name? That which we call a breast,
        A fake or not, could look as sweet;
        Though, in truth, the taste might be a bit off.

What's in a name? That which we call a breast,
A fake or not, could look as sweet;
Though, in truth, the taste might be a bit off.

in the guise of self-esteem
achieving the best fake possible
truth stands out, a sore thumb

in the guise of self-esteem
    achieving the best fake possible
    truth stands out, a sore thumb

what's art?
    if not to show the truth
    by faking it

what's art?
if not to show the truth
by faking it

art
the arrow
meets its mark

art
the arrow
meets its mark

Meet Mark the art
(outlines drawn rather stark);
some of my best work.
These fragments I have shored against my ruins
Why then Ile fit you
-T.S. Eliot (The Wasteland)

stark art
        only a trickle
        of words

words cannot speak of art -
        they have no voice