Poetry Telephone
We used to play a game called poetry telephone. It is based (slightly) off the child's game "telephone" where a message is whispered in the ear of the first child and passed along etc.

In poetry telephone, a poem is sent to a participant to rewrite. The participant sends it back and it is then sent to the next participant and then on down the line.

The fun is in rewriting and seeing the evolutionary process. It is also fun to go through and comment on the separate versions. Occasionally we would post the chain anonymously and we all tried to guess participants but I don't know if that would be successful here. Here is an example game played some time ago:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro...nts/poetry$20telephone/alt.arts.poetry.comments/-VkdKj4caxM/lBy7UMiIflEJ

authors list in order:

myself
michael wolkind
Michael Cook
sophie
Colin (Ward)
Crystal
PJR
Rik Roots
Thomas Dillion
Zinc
Dale Housman
Julie Carter

Let me know if you are interested in participating in a game by responding to this thread. In addition, all comments are welcome.
i might give it a go though i doubt it will be pretty Sad can we start with a fresh poem, even a classic ) i'll join in later (have to go shopping)
(01-25-2014, 08:39 AM)billy Wrote:  i might give it a go though i doubt it will be pretty Sad can we start with a fresh poem, even a classic ) i'll join in later (have to go shopping)

We always start with a fresh poem. It is the organizer's responsibility to provide that.
You have been working with some pretty strong poets considering that I found your marvelous version to be the lesser of the twelve.
We use to do the same thing but limited it to a certain number of lines to keep the editorializing down, especially if there were a large number of contributors.

Dale
How long after picking up the brush, the first masterpiece?

The goal is not to obfuscate that which is clear, but make clear that which isn't.
I could only do this if you find beauty in a weak link Smile
billy wrote:welcome to the site. make it your own, wear it like a well loved slipper and wear it out. ella pleads:please click forum titles for posting guidelines, important threads. New poet? Try Poetic DevicesandWard's Tips

(01-25-2014, 03:43 PM)trueenigma Wrote:  You have been working with some pretty strong poets considering that I found your marvelous version to be the lesser of the twelve.

Well you must not have read them all - fifth rewrite (crystal) was pretty bad. She struggled to accept advice at the time. Other than that, yah, I worked with some /very/ strong writers (leave it to julie to produce that magical sonnet at the end). Also, it was 10 years ago and a throwaway poem, I like to think I could do better now.

Enough of my excuses, are you playing or no?

(01-25-2014, 04:53 PM)Erthona Wrote:  We use to do the same thing but limited it to a certain number of lines to keep the editorializing down, especially if there were a large number of contributors.

Dale

We will be running one line in order, I need ten volunteers, are you in?

(01-25-2014, 10:28 PM)ellajam Wrote:  I could only do this if you find beauty in a weak link Smile

Alright, ella makes one, I need 9 more brave souls to step up. C'mon guys, it doesn't hurt.
Of course I'm playing.
(01-25-2014, 11:58 PM)trueenigma Wrote:  Of course I'm playing.

I now have 2, need 8 more.

Current list
Ella
True
Put me down. Smile
(01-26-2014, 05:33 AM)just mercedes Wrote:  Put me down. Smile

Nice.

Ella
True
JM

Need 7 more.
C'mon people. Don't be sceered.
*bump
(01-25-2014, 11:33 PM)milo Wrote:  We will be running one line in order, I need ten volunteers, are you in?

so we only do one line?

i thought it was rewrite the full effin poem, ill def contribute, i have people round today, (i snook away) but i have most of the day tomorrow.
i'll not be as good as the others but i'll try if you're gentle with me Big Grin
I'll give it a go Undecided

If your undies fer you've been smoking through em, don't peg em out
(01-26-2014, 02:54 PM)billy Wrote:  
(01-25-2014, 11:33 PM)milo Wrote:  We will be running one line in order, I need ten volunteers, are you in?

so we only do one line?

i thought it was rewrite the full effin poem, ill def contribute, i have people round today, (i snook away) but i have most of the day tomorrow.
i'll not be as good as the others but i'll try if you're gentle with me Big Grin

You rewrite a poem but not until it is your turn. Just like in the kids game.
I'm rather out of my league here, but why not try? I'm in.

Though I would like to know what the original poem will be. How will you choose it?
(01-27-2014, 12:04 AM)justcloudy Wrote:  I'm rather out of my league here, but why not try? I'm in.

Though I would like to know what the original poem will be. How will you choose it?

I usually just write one. The one you get depends where you fall in the list. For instance, if you follow billy you will be rewriting Billy's rewrite.

Current list:
Ella true
JM
Billy
JC
Keith
Right, that makes sense. I'm often amazed at how sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to explain. ;p
(01-27-2014, 12:07 AM)milo Wrote:  I usually just write one. The one you get depends where you fall in the list. For instance, if you follow billy you will be rewriting Billy's rewrite.

Current list:
Ella true
JM
Billy
JC
Keith
so i follow JM ....thanks for nothing Thumbsup, im not even in the smae world let alone same league Sad and JC...you'll def make a better one than mine)...i'll be their spit roast so to speak Hysterical

i'll give it a go
can you name the thread aptly so i don't miss it

can we get some more names please as well