09-28-2026, 01:11 AM
(09-27-2026, 09:42 PM)rowens Wrote: Catching Diana bathing is a common enough known Greek myth.yes, that works for a commonly known myth, but, as in this case, not fora much less widely known one. You're either aware of the moon goddess mythology or you're not, and if you're not no brief hint will be sufficient. Robt. Graves wrote and entire (albeit somewhat idiosyncratic) 500 page book about it. I feel such an exposition would probably spoil the poem for everyone, including those who do know the mythology. I thank everyone for all the commentary so far, which has been well considered, but I feel we've probably exhausted the discussion. Suffice it to say - if you don't get the analogies (which are the basis of the poem) you won't get the poem. The only remaining useful question therefore from my end is - is the ballad form adequately done?
And it's a hint that counts. A potent hint and wonder why such and such is mentioned or insisted on, without explanation, pulls in that direction, whether the person reading is aware or not.
They don't even need to know the myth.
Spells are not real magic

