09-26-2026, 12:59 PM
(09-26-2026, 10:43 AM)matsunosuperfan Wrote: Implied: "this is not a haiku"It seems more like a senryu to me as it deals more with human emotion and a human observation of the physical world.
curious why you come to this conclusion
thank you for reading i appreciate the feedback and kind words
The enjambment on the first line which leads to two possible implications of 'I cry' is a poetic device that is not 'usually' used in haiku/senryu they rely more on concrete images to convey a meaning.
For me, there is no cut, no 'aha' moment providing a revelation. There is also no kigo (season word) which are usually present within haiku and senryu.
The syllable count is of little importance to me when it comes haiku/senryu, people get too hung up on that as being the main aspect. I do however think that these ku poems should be as close to possible as a 'one breath' poem, this would be closer in essence to the original Japanese format of 5-7-5 onji. Where onji are slightly different to syllables, so 5-7-5 onji would be more like 3-5-3 in syllables.
That said, I don't class it as a haiku so I don't have any issues with any of this.
You could turn it into something more resembling a traditional haiku/senryu :
the kitten
plays in my shoe
- i cry
now it's a senryu without a season word, but like I said before it's not as good as your original.
wae aye man ye radgie

