Figurative language
I was thinking about something. I don't know why it never occurred to me before. I went to a writers' group at a place in town, and I've been there lots of times over the years. They always hate my poetry. I was there last month and it was just me and one other person that showed up. And that person asked why I always throw these unnecessary things into my poems like dragons and manic sphinxes and dark spirits. Why can't I just write about my true thoughts and feelings without resorting to images and similies and metaphors. And since then I've been wondering: Isn't that what poetry is? Those things.
shoot, rowens, you should have just pointed out that *minds* are made of similes (and metaphors, which are just similes without the little warning flag at one end).  "necessary" and "unnecessary" are similes for life and death, "image" is a metaphor for what goes on in the readers' and writer's minds.  your interlocutor's every word was a metaphor for something else, that's what linked them together into what he'd call "necessary" thoughts and expressions.  he just didn't like the way *your* metaphors were making him stretch to find out where they hook on.
feedback award Non-practicing atheist
Yeah, everything you said makes sense, but how are we supposed to function in society thinking that way? It's like relationships. She says: ''Would you have loved me if I wasn't physically attractive?'' : Yes dear, of course I would. In fact, I chose you because I don't find you physically attractive.
(08-05-2018, 05:34 AM)rowens Wrote:  Yeah, everything you said makes sense, but how are we supposed to function in society thinking that way? It's like relationships. She says: ''Would you have loved me if I wasn't physically attractive?'' : Yes dear, of course I would. In fact, I chose you because I don't find you physically attractive.

no dress could make you look fatter than you are, dear.
feedback award Non-practicing atheist
"Do these pants make my ass look big?"

You better believe it, baby.