Favorite Device?
Question 
Alliteration because imo it's one of the easiest devices to implement in any type of poem, and sometimes it just comes naturally which is always a good surprise.
(04-07-2014, 03:53 AM)George Wrote:  Alliteration because imo it's one of the easiest devices to implement in any type of poem, and sometimes it just comes naturally which is always a good surprise.

Alliteration may be my most hated because new writers.awkwardly jam it in everywhere without purpose. Much like rhyme but worse as it's so easy.

My favourite is metaphor. I include most simile in metaphor but that is a story for another day.
Metaphor is also my favorite. My least is enjambment. Few people actually know how to use it, and fewer know how to use it well. Most of the time it is used, it appears to be saying, "look how clever I am," rather than in an effort to improve the poem.

Dale
How long after picking up the brush, the first masterpiece?

The goal is not to obfuscate that which is clear, but make clear that which isn't.
metaphor and enjambment though i'm not that great at either.
i hate a metaphor that doesn't work well. the really hard to get ones that only the writer understands.
My favourite? Any device at all in moderation. Too much of anything is sickening to the seasoned poetry reader.
It could be worse
Metaphor is the magical one. As long as poetic devices don't serve as merely gimmick alone and the poem is more than a vehicle for their gymnastics, they are all fine. All battery operated devices should be used in moderation to avoid desensitization.
My new watercolor: 'Nightmare After Christmas'/Chris
[Image: visualelements.jpg]
                                                                                                                i used to know a lotta stuff, but i still have eight cats