Poll: Should pen newbies be called pewbies?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
31.46%
56 31.46%
No
30.34%
54 30.34%
Feed billy to a dragon.
38.20%
68 38.20%
Total 178 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Say "Hi" in this Thread
(10-29-2015, 09:09 PM)Chappers Wrote:  Just signed up, recently got back into writing and have wrote a few things I'll probz stick up on here. Don't claim to be no expert, just enjoy writing and venting on the page. Looking forward to soaking up the creativity on this site too  Thumbsup

Hi, welcome to the Pen. Smile For me, joining here and learning to critique has really helped push my writing forward. I hope you enjoy the site.
billy wrote:welcome to the site. make it your own, wear it like a well loved slipper and wear it out. ella pleads:please click forum titles for posting guidelines, important threads. New poet? Try Poetic DevicesandWard's Tips

(10-28-2015, 03:58 PM)NakedBear Wrote:  Hi everyone. I was here for a while a couple years ago. Hope everything's cool. I'm very introverted, so after a time of being out there, I tend to shy away. 
Anyway, hello!  Thumbsup

Welcome Back also too as well.
My cat lost her rhyming dictionary so now she makes no rhyme and,
being a cat, she's always made no reason.
                                                                                                                i used to know a lotta stuff, but i still have eight cats
(10-30-2015, 04:16 AM)rayheinrich Wrote:  
(10-28-2015, 03:58 PM)NakedBear Wrote:  Hi everyone. I was here for a while a couple years ago. Hope everything's cool. I'm very introverted, so after a time of being out there, I tend to shy away. 
Anyway, hello!  Thumbsup

Welcome Back also too as well.
My cat lost her rhyming dictionary so now she makes no rhyme and,
being a cat, she's always made no reason.

Now she's a purfect specimen. Sorry.

Thanks for the welcome.

(10-29-2015, 09:09 PM)Chappers Wrote:  Just signed up, recently got back into writing and have wrote a few things I'll probz stick up on here. Don't claim to be no expert, just enjoy writing and venting on the page. Looking forward to soaking up the creativity on this site too  Thumbsup

Hi, Chappers.

Be sure to save a bit of that "venting" energy for critiquing.
As for PigPen creativity: While it may seem a bit soppy, the best taste is always in the gravy. Smile

Wishing you renewed brainy fluids,
Ray
welcome chappers.
Hi,

My nic is onmorie. The meaning in Korean is Whole Brain.
In order to be balanced spiritually, who;e brained is better.
It's a cool surprise to find haiku composed in English.
In Korea, we have Sijo. I want to compose haiku as well as
Sijo in English.
(10-30-2015, 10:18 PM)onmorie Wrote:  Hi,

In order to be balanced spiritually, whole brained is better.
Sijo in English.

Oh! Wow! Sijo!
I have read about it, but never actually attempted to learn to write it.
It was quite enough to attempt to learn (still learning) to write Traditional (not modern) English Haiku.
I like to write fauxku as well: Tiny poems that incorporate many of the elements of haiku, but
are much less strict in their adherence to the haiku form (i.e. what some call Modern English "Haiku").

I searched my browser bookmarks and this site was in them. I just tried it and it still works:
Sijo In The Light

Here are four I copied from there:  (It seems people have varying ideas about how to format English Sijo. Smile )

The spring breeze melted snow on the hills then quickly disappeared.
         I wish I could borrow it briefly to blow over my hair
         And melt away the aging frost forming now about my ears.

- U T'ak (1262-1342), translated by Larry Gross

Bark on the oak in the backyard
            has scars over my scars;
ladder steps lead nowhere now,
           swing rope has furrowed the old branch
How strong it makes us for a while –
           the world we make – before it goes.

-Larry Gross

so many changes have I seen in all the passing years
   wrinkles on my face and hands, strands of white run through my hair
   ah but braids cut off at age of ten still honey bright and soft

- Elizabeth St Jacques

NOTE TO THE UNIVERSE

Eternal is the mystery
                within your multitude of lights

Into your soul   our silver darts
                   Seed noble hopes and dreams

Fear not  old friend  We cannot stay
                   our roots are tied to trees

- Elizabeth St Jacques
I'm looking forward to reading English Sijo written by someone who knows it in its original Korean form.
Welcome to PigPen,
Ray
(10-30-2015, 10:18 PM)onmorie Wrote:  Hi,

In order to be balanced spiritually, who;e brained is better.
Sijo in English.

Hi, onmorie, thanks for explaining your name, the thought of a whole brain is lovely, though it's probably too late for mine. Smile

The site is set up so that only posts in Novice, Mild or Serious count towards the three you need before you can post your own thread. So take a look at those, post a few thoughtful comments and then you can concentrate on the Short Form forum. If you click on the forum titles you'll see posting guidelines, important threads and critique tips.

Happy to have you here, I'm off to google Sijo. Smile
billy wrote:welcome to the site. make it your own, wear it like a well loved slipper and wear it out. ella pleads:please click forum titles for posting guidelines, important threads. New poet? Try Poetic DevicesandWard's Tips

Hi,

I'm a Turkish poetess who has been writing poems in English for almost a year and trying to convey her chromesthesia into words.
(11-05-2015, 06:33 AM)Dilvin Wrote:  Hi,

I'm a Turkish poetess who has been writing poems in English for almost a year and trying to convey her chromesthesia into words.

Hi, Dilvin, that's a new one for me. Welcome to the Pen, I hope you enjoy the site. Smile

Big Grin 
Hi, my name is Debralynn. I am an author of prose usually. Occasionally when inspired I dabble in poetry too. Hoping to get to know all of you.
big hug
(11-05-2015, 09:33 AM)Debralynn Wrote:  Hi, my name is Debralynn. I am an author of prose usually. Occasionally when inspired I dabble in poetry too. Hoping to get to know all of you.
big hug
hi and welcome
Bless all here.  (Love that line from "The Eagle has Landed.")

Recently retired, started writing poetry in March of this year on a challenge from local "Writing for Fun" group.  The usual suspects (friends and family) say I may have potential; since I enjoy it, too, here I am to dip toe in the larger pond.

Most comfortable in sonnet forms and their derivatives; trying to branch out into free verse.  Have some theory and vocabulary of poetry at urging of friend-professor; will try to give good critique.

(Handle chosen more or less at random.  Every mythos has its Noah. Smile  )
feedback award Non-practicing atheist
Welcome, Deb and Duke, glad you've chosen our site, I hope your experience here is as educational and fun as mine turned out to be, Big Grin

Duke: Don't miss out our Practice Threads which have great explanations of various forms and there are threads in Mild and Serious where you can follow the critiques and edits.

Hi!

I'm Proze, with a Z, because when I got the nickname, I wanted to be a rapper. Unfortunately, I was white boy from a middle-class family with no cars, drugs, or guns to brag about.

It all started with poetry, turned into rap, and then fizzled into the deep dark abyss of an accounting career. Now, I'm stressed and in need of a creative outlet, so here I am picking up the pen after a 6 year hiatus.

Looking forward to reading all of your work and learning about poetry from scratch!
Sounds like you're overqualified, Proze :p

Welcome to the madhouse. You may leave your dignity at the door.
It could be worse
if the poetry doesn't work out you can always do our accounts Big Grin

welcome to the zite
(11-05-2015, 09:33 AM)Debralynn Wrote:  Hi, my name is Debralynn. I am an author of prose usually. Occasionally when inspired I dabble in poetry too. Hoping to get to know all of you.
big hug

If you already write prose, then poetry is easy:
Write a piece of prose, gather up every 10th word, arrange the words
randomly in equal-length lines, capitalize the first letter of each line,
then make condescending remarks about anyone who says they can't
understand it.

Welcome. Smile
ray

(11-05-2015, 10:55 PM)dukealien Wrote:  Bless all here.  (Love that line from "The Eagle has Landed.")

Recently retired, started writing poetry in March of this year on a challenge from local "Writing for Fun" group.  The usual suspects (friends and family) say I may have potential; since I enjoy it, too, here I am to dip toe in the larger pond.

Most comfortable in sonnet forms and their derivatives; trying to branch out into free verse.  Have some theory and vocabulary of poetry at urging of friend-professor; will try to give good critique.

If you can write a decent sonnet, why bother with free verse?  Smile
    Welcome.
    ray
(11-06-2015, 09:41 PM)rayheinrich Wrote:  
(11-05-2015, 10:55 PM)dukealien Wrote:  Bless all here.  (Love that line from "The Eagle has Landed.")

If you can write a decent sonnet, why bother with free verse?  Smile
    Welcome.
    ray

To embrace its different challenges? Tongue

(11-06-2015, 01:21 PM)Proze Wrote:  Hi!
I'm Proze, with a Z, because when I got the nickname, I wanted to be a rapper. Unfortunately, I was a white boy from a middle-class family with no cars, drugs, or guns to brag about.

It all started with poetry, turned into rap, and then fizzled into the deep dark abyss of an accounting career. Now, I'm stressed and in need of a creative outlet, so here I am picking up the pen after a 6 year hiatus.

Looking forward to reading all of your work and learning about poetry from scratch!

Since you don't need cars or guns to write poetry, you're two-thirds of the way there already.
Welcome Smile
ray

(11-06-2015, 10:04 PM)ellajam Wrote:  
(11-06-2015, 09:41 PM)rayheinrich Wrote:  If you can write a decent sonnet, why bother with free verse?  Smile
    Welcome, ray

To embrace its different challenges?  Tongue

Some say "different challenges", though it's more often described as "start with this, it's the easiest".