2nd Annual Poems About Suicide Month
It is abundantly clear that some people are entirely misunderstanding the purpose of this thread.  This is *NOT* making fun of suicide -- it is merely venting frustration at the rash of cliche-ridden diary entry woe-is-me poetry that shows up for time to time and causes seemingly interminable itching.  

There are some outstanding poems with suicide as the subject.  One of the very best here on the site is My Last Walk by Keith.  There is a world of difference between great poems like that one and the fairly standard variations on:

Quote:in the deep dark depths of the blackest hell
lurks the remnants of my tattered soul
torn by a million razors of crimson hate
and raped into unfathomable depression

i am screaming but
the box you put me in
has no ears to hear me cry
and my tongue is bloody
because i need to feel something

i don't know if i am insane
i can't tell through all this pain

© Shitey McEmo

For further discussion regarding the very basic tenet that "the poem is not the poet", please see this thread and also this:

Quote:Consider that the speaker/voice of the writing is not always that of the author, even if it uses an I. It is a mistake to assume that anything written in the first person is always autobiographical, and to do so can in fact offend. It is possibly best to avoid giving “life advice” in a critique, other than as a direct requirement for interpretation of the piece.

-- from our Critique and Feedback instructions.

Having said all that, some of the poems here in this thread actually represent pretty damn good poetry.  Who'd have thunk it?  Some, however, just don't.  I hope for the sake of the poets that they can tell which is which themselves, so they don't get all defensive.

Also, don't threaten to commit suicide on a poetry site.  That's just insulting.  Anyone who blames poets who are not directing anything at a particular person for bullying or encouraging self-harm is unbelievably unwelcome here -- because we have said, over and over again, that our criticism is for flaws in poetry, not flaws in people.  You are words on a page to us.  Deal with it.
It could be worse

Messages In This Thread
2nd Annual Poems About Suicide Month - by Todd - 02-16-2015, 10:01 PM
RE: 2nd Annual Poems About Suicide Month - by pinkalligator - 09-15-2016, 01:01 PM
RE: 2nd Annual Poems About Suicide Month - by just mercedes - 02-17-2015, 07:32 AM
RE: 2nd Annual Poems About Suicide Month - by just mercedes - 02-17-2015, 08:04 AM
RE: 2nd Annual Poems About Suicide Month - by Leanne - 02-18-2015, 05:40 PM
RE: 2nd Annual Poems About Suicide Month - by just mercedes - 04-28-2016, 09:43 AM