Poetry Forum
the internet, is it a super power - Printable Version

+- Poetry Forum (https://www.pigpenpoetry.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.pigpenpoetry.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Polls (https://www.pigpenpoetry.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: the internet, is it a super power (/thread-527.html)

Pages: 1 2

the internet, is it a super power - billy - 03-09-2010

there's a program on the bbc. or it soon will be which tries to show the internet as a new super power. all the social networking. it's ability to pass government barriers and cultural divides etc.

so my questions are these; has the internet gotten too powerful for it's own good. can it be used as a tool against the public who use re; disinformation. can people make conspiracy theories seem more than they are, either for or against the powers that be.

personally i think the net as it is is brilliant. it's a good learning tool etc.
i do think it's slowly taking over from the usual media as a way of educating us to the so called rights and wrongs of society. (though not in a truthful way)

i think we could do with a few new protocols and laws to make it people safe etc. copyright laws. privacy laws. i do think it has become the new super power. it can be used to bring people together and also tear people apart. it's a great tool for sharing jmo.

so whats do you all thinks.

RE: the internet, is it a super power - Benny2guns - 03-09-2010

i think we could do with a few new protocols and laws to make it people safe etc. copyright laws. privacy laws.

No

there's a program on the bbc. or it soon will be which tries to show the internet as a new super power. all the social networking. it's ability to pass government barriers and cultural divides etc.

This In my opinion is hype.

so my questions are these; has the internet gotten too powerful for it's own good.

I don't think so no.

can it be used as a tool against the public

Yes it can.

i do think it's slowly taking over from the usual media as a way of educating us to the so called rights and wrongs of society

I don't think so no, not enough people have access to a computer contrary to popular myth

though not in a truthful way

How would you know, what do you have to compare with?

i do think it has become the new super power

Lol thats hogwash as far as I can see. Wishfull thinking by geeks.

it can be used to bring people together and also tear people apart. it's a great tool for sharing jmo.

Right, lol, it's a tool, it's a toy, people use it like anything else.

RE: the internet, is it a super power - billy - 03-09-2010

(03-09-2010, 11:37 AM)Benny2guns Wrote:  i think we could do with a few new protocols and laws to make it people safe etc. copyright laws. privacy laws.

No
you don't want the present copyright law changing, you don't want it made law that private emails stay private. you don't want a lwa that says it's illegal for an isp to give information to anyone? ok.

This In my opinion is hype.
actually it's a news review. how can we hype the net. everyone already knows about it and the program won't change anything or make it more or less popular

so my questions are these; has the internet gotten too powerful for it's own good.

I don't think so no.

can it be used as a tool against the public

Yes it can.

i do think it's slowly taking over from the usual media as a way of educating us to the so called rights and wrongs of society though not in a truthful way

I don't think so no, not enough people have access to a computer contrary to popular myth most people who can afford one have one. and many who can't afford one also have one.
of course some bushman in the outback may not have access to one.

How would you know, what do you have to compare with? how would i know what?

i do think it has become the new super power

Lol thats hogwash as far as I can see. Wishfull thinking by geeks.
it would be, and somehow i doubt anyone would call me a geek.

it can be used to bring people together and also tear people apart. it's a great tool for sharing jmo.

Right, lol, it's a tool, it's a toy, people use it like anything else.
so it does bring people together or it doesn't?
it's tool or it isn't? or it's both? i think it's both.
of course it can be a toy.

think of this, every single piece of information you've posted on this site you garnered from the net. you used the net to express your thoughts. you used it like an evangilist sharing the world of god and i really am not taking the piss.
all those vids. all those sources. where did you get the info from, fox news, cnn, the local newspaper. if you think the net isn't taking over as the main outlet for news fair enough.

if you say the net isn't used to fight oppressive regimes, fair enough.

if you say the net isn't used to garner aid and support for many many different causes, fair enough.
if you say the net is not used by the people of the world to change stuff fair enough.

i think it's the fifth column of the superpowers. as things are it's the only outlet that the whole world can voice their opinion to any given subject on.

the govs of the world take heed of the net. they try and suppress it but that okay. you like it that way, you like it that the copyright laws as they are.
you don't mind that your mail can be read and used against you any time they wish.

silly me i thought you'd be for shit like that. i guess acta is a good thing after all then. in your eyes at least.

What is the world population at this point in time and how many of those people have computers and are on line? Thats my point bill nothing more. People with a few bucks and some time are on line and business uses it, governments use it and so on but most of the people in the world today still have no access.
I'm not going to pull ACTA apart here as it is a secret agreement so I can't. What is know of it is wrong in my opinion. Just the fact that it is secret is enough to condemn it for me. Thats about all I have to say on the subject.
The conspiracy theory angle Carry's no weight with me personally and is only used to discredit facts before people take the time to research the facts for themselves.
Dissapointed...yes but I should have known better after all you can't tell a Heinz pickle anything. Thats not me attacking you.

(03-09-2010, 02:30 PM)Benny2guns Wrote:  What is the world population at this point in time and how many of those people have computers and are on line? Thats my point bill nothing more. People with a few bucks and some time are on line and business uses it, governments use it and so on but most of the people in the world today still have no access.
I'm not going to pull ACTA apart here as it is a secret agreement so I can't. What is know of it is wrong in my opinion. Just the fact that it is secret is enough to condemn it for me. Thats about all I have to say on the subject.
The conspiracy theory angle Carry's no weight with me personally and is only used to discredit facts before people take the time to research the facts for themselves.
Dissapointed...yes but I should have known better after all you can't tell a Heinz pickle anything. Thats not me attacking you.
how much of the worlds population lives in the usa....
how much of the worlds population use the net?

and what about the present copyright laws. you happy with them? yopu don't want them changed?
you didn't answer about the email privacy either? you simply said no changes to the law out of hand, why was that?

you're not going to pull acta apart here because it's a secret.
wtf? i thought you were all for telling the people how it is. about not suppressing stuff. about enlightening us. enlighten me benny you for acta or against. because if you're against it you want the laws re copyright and privacy changing. which makes a mockery of this which was written by me;
i think we could do with a few new protocols and laws to make it people safe etc. copyright laws. privacy laws.

and answered by you;
No

when i say conspiracy theories i also take it as given that both sides of them spread dissemination for their own purpose. most of what i see re them for and against is utter bullshit. i do not and will not believe everything i read or view just because i can.

(03-09-2010, 02:43 PM)billy Wrote:  
(03-09-2010, 02:30 PM)Benny2guns Wrote:  What is the world population at this point in time and how many of those people have computers and are on line? Thats my point bill nothing more. People with a few bucks and some time are on line and business uses it, governments use it and so on but most of the people in the world today still have no access.

and what about the present copyright laws. you happy with them? yopu don't want them changed?
you didn't answer about the email privacy either? you simply said no changes to the law out of hand, why was that?

wtf? i thought you were all for telling the people how it is. about not suppressing stuff. about enlightening us. enlighten me benny you for acta or against. because if you're against it you want the laws re copyright and privacy changing. which makes a mockery of this which was written by me;

and answered by you;
No

when i say conspiracy theories i also take it as given that both sides of them spread dissemination for their own purpose. most of what i see re them for and against is utter bullshit. i do not and will not believe everything i read or view just because i can.
Are you for real? I said it's a secret because it is a secret nobody knows for sure what the whole agreement is because it is being discussed in secret. It's not my secret, I only know what I told you and thats it because they do not tell me their secrets.
No laws or agreements in a free world should be made or discussed in secret. Thats just something I personally believe. You don't think so then tough tit.
You make demands that I answerer your questions and when I do you either misunderstand my answerers or are blatantly twisting them to suit yourself. Again if you can't or refuse to understad me then I say again tough tit.
Fuck the states I asked world wide, since when is the USA the world.
When you say conspiracy theories I know exactly what you mean and if you don't like the fact that I do then tough tit.
I could care less about what you think about copy write laws, In Canada the laws are cool with me and I do not want to see them changed. But hey if you don't like that then again tough tit bill.
Truly wish I could pull ACTA apart but it's being dictated to me so I guess thats just tough tit too.
So how many people are there in the world right now?
So how many have terminals with access to the net?

(03-09-2010, 05:36 PM)Benny2guns Wrote:  

and answered by you;
No

Are you for real? I said it's a secret because it is a secret nobody knows for sure what the whole agreement is because it is being discussed in secret. It's not my secret, I only know what I told you and thats it because they do not tell me their secrets.
No laws or agreements in a free world should be made or discussed in secret. Thats just something I personally believe. You don't think so then tough tit.
You make demands that I answerer your questions and when I do you either misunderstand my answerers or are blatantly twisting them to suit yourself. Again if you can't or refuse to understad me then I say again tough tit.
When you say conspiracy theories I know exactly what you mean and if you don't like the fact that I do then tough tit.
I could care less about what you think about copy write laws, In Canada the laws are cool with me and I do not want to see them changed. But hey if you don't like that then again tough tit bill.
Truly wish I could pull ACTA apart but it's being dictated to me so I guess thats just tough tit too.
if you think holding copyright for fifty years is cool then fine, as for everything else you said. tough tit. from now on i won't respond to anything you say in here or the general discussion.

you had no problem showing us what acta was with the vids in the same thread you told us this:

Well it's a world agreement between all of the countries involved. Those that are not involved will have to agree to it before being allowed certain trade agreements in the future. [b]What it does is allow for censership of anything not wanted public. It gives ISP's the power to disconnect users if they think inapropriate use has occured. Who decides what that is is a good question. In order for ISP's to do this they will be preforming deep packet inspestions i think it is called. That means all of our private stuff. It is the same as opening your mail and reading it before you get it and censoring it. This will be done with out consent and is going through on the premiss of looking for copy protected illegal downloads. It is an invaison of privacy and the same thing that is done to a criminals mail in prison. ISP's will have no choice in the matter as thay are being charged with the policeing end of it without being legal law enforcement. In essence anything said online will be monitered, thats what it boils down to. They will actually have the right to enter your home and remove your computer equipment, disconect your sirvace and never have charged you with a crime.
One of the link's in my first post, the last one has a clickable player on the left, click it and listen to what he has to say on the topic.[/b]

yet in this thread you say things are okay as they are.
it gives the isp powers to disconnect..
note the invasion of privacy line.
note the monitoring line.
note the line of it allows censorship.

but your okay with things as they are. because we already have all the above in MOST countries including the usa and canada. they can already take your pc if they SUSPECT you've committed a crime using it..

as for the wtf. id' say the above paragraph is either spoken because you read, heard or saw it somewhere or it's a load of bollocks. according to it and the vids in the same thread it isn't at all secret. how the fuck can it be if all these vids are strewn across the net.

so yeah if you want to play tough tit. tough fuckin tit. don't expect me or anyone else to believe shit you admit to knowing nothing about.

(03-09-2010, 06:10 PM)billy Wrote:  

and answered by you;
No

if you think holding copyright for fifty years is cool then fine, as for everything else you said. tough tit. from now on i won't respond to anything you say in here or the general discussion.
Thats fine bill, the tough tit thing is exactly how you yourself come across to me. I was mearly doing you the Courtesy of saying it plainly. I could always be mistaken bill but it's been pretty darn steady
Of course I don't believe that a 50 period is fair but to change that we have to change the whole damned shooting match and we loose too much to justify it. So sorry if thats to simple of an explanation for you but thats what I have. The law here is fine as is...to change it, we as the ordinary Canadain citizen get the royal shaft.
I'll still respond to you if I feel the need to...you do not need to reciprocate.

(03-09-2010, 02:43 PM)billy Wrote:  [quote='Benny2guns' pid='13019' dateline='1268112623']
What is the world population at this point in time and how many of those people have computers and are on line? Thats my point bill nothing more. People with a few bucks and some time are on line and business uses it, governments use it and so on but most of the people in the world today still have no access.

and answered by you;
No

if you think holding copyright for fifty years is cool then fine, as for everything else you said. tough tit. from now on i won't respond to anything you say in here or the general discussion after this post.

you had no problem showing us what acta was with the vids in the same thread you told us this:

Well it's a world agreement between all of the countries involved. Those that are not involved will have to agree to it before being allowed certain trade agreements in the future. [b]What it does is allow for censership of anything not wanted public. It gives ISP's the power to disconnect users if they think inapropriate use has occured. Who decides what that is is a good question. In order for ISP's to do this they will be preforming deep packet inspestions i think it is called. That means all of our private stuff. It is the same as opening your mail and reading it before you get it and censoring it. This will be done with out consent and is going through on the premiss of looking for copy protected illegal downloads. It is an invaison of privacy and the same thing that is done to a criminals mail in prison. ISP's will have no choice in the matter as thay are being charged with the policeing end of it without being legal law enforcement. In essence anything said online will be monitered, thats what it boils down to. They will actually have the right to enter your home and remove your computer equipment, disconect your sirvace and never have charged you with a crime.
One of the link's in my first post, the last one has a clickable player on the left, click it and listen to what he has to say on the topic.[/b]

but your okay with things as they are. because we already have all the above in MOST countries including the usa and canada. they can already take your pc if they SUSPECT you've committed a crime using it..

as for the wtf. id' say the above paragraph is either spoken because you read, heard or saw it somewhere or it's a load of bollocks. according to it and the vids in the same thread it isn't at all secret. how the fuck can it be if all these vids are strewn across the net.

so yeah if you want to play tough tit. tough fuckin tit. don't expect me or anyone else to believe shit you admit to knowing nothing about.

for a bit of clarity. i was comparing 200 mill in the usa which is a super power to 6 billion plus. with at least 25% or more having access to the net. it's why i called it a fifth column superpower. the number as of 2009 who have net access is 1,733,993,741

the worlds population is;6,767,805,208
which is as i siad a quarter of the worlds population. oh, and it's rising exponentially.
source:

(03-09-2010, 06:28 PM)billy Wrote:  
(03-09-2010, 02:43 PM)billy Wrote:  [quote='Benny2guns' pid='13019' dateline='1268112623']

and answered by you;
No

if you think holding copyright for fifty years is cool then fine, as for everything else you said. tough tit. from now on i won't respond to anything you say in here or the general discussion after this post.

for a bit of clarity. i was comparing 200 mill in the usa which is a super power to 6 billion plus. with at least 25% or more having access to the net. it's why i called it a fifth column superpower. the number as of 2009 who have net access is 1,733,993,741

the worlds population is;6,767,805,208
which is as i siad a quarter of the worlds population. oh, and it's rising exponentially.
source:
I still don't get where you see it is a super power.
Again there is alot of hooplaw over ACTA but it is all the same info on different sites. Where I got mine from was actually a live debate from Google with some well informed insiders on the pannle. Anything that was not in my statements I got from there.
There is nothing wrong with Canadain law in this area now. We have more paid for rights than most. They only seek to remove them. Yes it is true that if a crime has been commited they can do everything I said they can here. Downloading a movie for personal use is not a crime here tho but it will be if the laws are changed.

RE: the internet, is it a super power - kollkolen - 03-16-2010

I think that the Internet is not a super power. If one has to marry, he/she can get biodata but can not experience the reality of the person. He/she can not judge the real character behind the person.

RE: the internet, is it a super power - billy - 03-16-2010

(03-16-2010, 02:43 PM)kollkolen Wrote:  I think that the Internet is not a super power. If one has to marry, he/she can get biodata but can not experience the reality of the person. He/she can not judge the real character behind the person.
i accept it cant bomb or invade anyone.

it's why i said it was fifth column super power.

but yeah i can see that my opinion is a bit out of the box Smile

wait. i may retract;

was the internet used to co ordinate the war in iraq?

as for the second. i met my partner on the net; we exchanged stuff for over two years on it. and i really did experience the real person.
she was exactly the same as i thought she was before i met her.

i know people can lie on here but people can also be truthful. though it is a bit more difficult to sort it out.

we can't judge or know a superpower really either can we ? we know it exists but it has no meaning to us, not really.

RE: the internet, is it a super power - Benny2guns - 03-16-2010

The INTERNET most certainly is used by the super powers thats for sure so it could be called a tool and most certainly a weapon used by them in my opinion.

RE: the internet, is it a super power - srijantje - 03-16-2010

(03-16-2010, 07:03 PM)Skippyslipper Wrote:  The INTERNET most certainly is used by the super powers thats for sure so it could be called a tool and most certainly a weapon used by them in my opinion.
in this you're right,but it is also used by us for other purposes

RE: the internet, is it a super power - Benny2guns - 03-16-2010

(03-16-2010, 09:48 PM)srijantje Wrote:  
(03-16-2010, 07:03 PM)Skippyslipper Wrote:  The INTERNET most certainly is used by the super powers thats for sure so it could be called a tool and most certainly a weapon used by them in my opinion.
in this you're right,but it is also used by us for other purposes
Not for much longer in my honest opinion. A bit off topic maybe but true I beleive.

RE: the internet, is it a super power - srijantje - 03-16-2010

it's a question of staying ahead of the curve or wave in my opinion

RE: the internet, is it a super power - billy - 03-19-2010

do super powers go around doing nothing but killing?

please look up fifth column.
i said it's like a fifth column superpower.

RE: the internet, is it a super power - Benny2guns - 03-19-2010

(03-19-2010, 07:31 AM)billy Wrote:  do super powers go around doing nothing but killing?

Tell us what that is? Super power means super power to me. Huh

RE: the internet, is it a super power - billy - 03-19-2010

(03-19-2010, 07:48 AM)Skippyslipper Wrote:  
(03-19-2010, 07:31 AM)billy Wrote:  do super powers go around doing nothing but killing?

A superpower is a state with a leading position in the international system and the ability to influence events and its own interests and project power on a worldwide scale to protect those interests; it is traditionally considered to be one step higher than a great power.

Alice Lyman Miller (Professor of National Security Affairs at the Naval Postgraduate School), defines a superpower as "a country that has the capacity to project dominating power and influence anywhere in the world, and sometimes, in more than one region of the globe at a time, and so may plausibly attain the status of global hegemon."[1]

i agree with the basics of it though nuclear power isn't mentioned.

fifth column;
A fifth column is a group of people who clandestinely undermine a larger group, such as a nation, from within, to the aid of an external enemy.

i think the net is a mixture of these two things.

RE: the internet, is it a super power - Benny2guns - 03-19-2010

(03-19-2010, 07:59 AM)billy Wrote:  
(03-19-2010, 07:48 AM)Skippyslipper Wrote:  

A superpower is a state with a leading position in the international system and the ability to influence events and its own interests and project power on a worldwide scale to protect those interests; it is traditionally considered to be one step higher than a great power.

Alice Lyman Miller (Professor of National Security Affairs at the Naval Postgraduate School), defines a superpower as "a country that has the capacity to project dominating power and influence anywhere in the world, and sometimes, in more than one region of the globe at a time, and so may plausibly attain the status of global hegemon."[1]

i agree with the basics of it though nuclear power isn't mentioned.

fifth column;
A fifth column is a group of people who clandestinely undermine a larger group, such as a nation, from within, to the aid of an external enemy.

i think the net is a mixture of these two things.
So it's a conspiracy theory then? I'm not being a twat either but thats what it sounds like, a group that clandestinely undermine's from within.
If thats the case then yes it's not like one it would be one. JMO