Tony Blair's memoires
Tony Blair announced the up front payment form his memoires
and any royalties will be paid to the British legion.

the anti war, anti Tony Blair brigade say he's just trying to wash the blood off his hand. while this may be true, it's still a large chunk of change. they also say he made 20 mill after leaving office (so what) the thing is people who need faced death for their country during the 2nd world war and subsequent wars are having 4 and a 1/2 mill donated to their charity.

the anti war/Blair brigade say the British legion shouldn't accept it. wtf why on earth shouldn't they accept it. so my question is this. do some or many of the anti this and that brigade actually have any decency or common sense?
that they are prepared to tell a charity not to accept funds seems ludicrous to me. are principles that strong, should such principles be heeded?

needless to say, the British legion accepted the donation with great thanks, a thing I think was the right thing to do; whatever your politics or views on war.

what do you think?
Talk about letting personal issues cloud your judgment/ cutting off your nose to spite your face, etc.

We had a similar case here in the Philippines... after Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos were booted out of the country at the end of martial law, the widow Cory Aquino was put into power. Now, she was a simple, devout woman woman in many respects, but she had strong feelings against the Marcoses (enemy of her dead husband, probably got him killed) and it's obvious that Imelda rubbed her the wrong way for personal reasons (queenlike ostentatious woman versus a prim housewife). So during her term she sets about destroying /shutting down/withdrawing support from Marcos "vanity projects"... including programs, schools and centers for culture and the arts. All because she hated the Marcoses and couldn't stand being so "ostentatious" and "frivolous"... if she put even a bit of her feelings aside in that one aspect, she would've realized she was destroying things that benefited the people greatly.
PS. If you can, try your hand at giving some of the others a bit of feedback. If you already have, thanks, can you do some more?
Of course the British Legion was right in accepting the donation.
Brits who think the gift shouldn't salve Blair's conscience are free to disregard it.
Blair is no angel. But money is money, and he's giving a lot of it away. Of course they took it.

I think he's trying to make a big step and regain his reputation but it's going to need a lot more than that I think. But we'll see.
i'm not sure. many believe blair to be a great statesman, (not me) he's still able to hold the ear of many middle eastern dignitaries. was he right going into iraq. what has that got to do with his donations. bloodmoney or not which i doubt it isn't it money that will help those who need it. in the uk if you come from certain background the british legion is one of those charites that command a lot of respect. it's why we have poppy day (remembrance day)

i'm sure blaire still thinks he did the right thing with iraq, whatever his reasons for going to war.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. But I'm heading off-topic here.. :angel:

Blair lost a lot of popularity among a British public who used be very fond of him. Whether or not going to Iraq was the right decision is not really relevant but I think we all agree that something went terribly wrong there. Many saw that as a heavy American influence but that's very debateable and off-topic too. All I'm saying is that, this war brought him down from that high chair that he held in the public's heart. As the headlines of the stay in Iraq become more and more dramatic (and frequent, I might add) and scandals involving government officers against the Occupation and their subsequent pressure by the MI6 (murder, it seemed to be) that all spelt disaster for Blair.

By giving back to the Legion, I think that can be considered as a very noble act. The expression "washing the blood off his hands" is a bit melodramatic and quite incorrect. He's not washing anything off his hands, and I don't think that's his intent. That leaves this either being a PR stunt or an actual act of good morals. I belive it's the former and not the latter, but call me a pessimist if you want. Either way, the Biritish Legion wins something in the end which is not bad at all Cool.
now that is something i can accept. it's not rhetoric just sound opinion. for me the anti give to charity crew are cutting off other peoples noses to to spite someone else.

i personally think the guy is saying to himself. i have all this cash and i'll make lots more. why not donate the money form a book i never actually wrote. to a good cause and at the same time give myself a bit of prestige in the international community for being a good chap and in doing so increase my chances on making much more when i do the odd lecture here and there.

which is what you're saying only a little bit different.
You can always tell when a politician is lying--their lips move. They tell you what you want to hear so you will vote for them.

But, Blair didn't do that. He did what he personally believed was right in spite of public opinion.

That's what makes him a genuine statesman as opposed to a mere politician--he was a leader, not a poll-driven panderer. Having said that, he wasn't a great leader--he didn't follow public opinion but he failed to change it.

I think this gift is more of the same--he's doing it because he believes it's the right thing to do. I doubt he believes it will significantly alter peoples perception of him; and it won't.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
i think all statesmen and he's definitely one of those want to leave some kind of legacy behind. clintons also trying to do good deeds. i think those in the legion already liked and supported him i know i did. in retrospect i'm not so sure it was done properly or even if it was the right thing. (hindsight is a wonderful thing Wink ) i do think he thinks others will perceive him and a good person if does good deeds. but it may not have been a fundamental part of the giving as i stated earlier.
either way as dan pointed out it's a win win situation for a lot of people.
(08-25-2010, 08:39 AM)Touchstone Wrote:  He did what he personally believed was right in spite of public opinion.

Very good point. He probably anticipated the negative reaction, how could he not? For that, at least, I can respect him as a person
PS. If you can, try your hand at giving some of the others a bit of feedback. If you already have, thanks, can you do some more?
and what the cost of doing nothing?
how can we diefine the parameters of a war that has yet to waged.

was there wmd, it seems not. does iraq have a better way of life, debatable.

could it have been worse if there were no war. maybe, again it's debatable.
back on topic;

will the money from his memoires help some of those in need. most definitely.
and i'm sure his memoires aren't just about iraq.