when should i ever post on serious crit
i feel it is never. i like when poems give me an emotional response. it this alone (expressing how a poem makes your feel), or relating to themes of imagery not serious? some of us don't mind grammar mistakes, if we can even catch them. but others are strit about exactly how a poem reads in regards to meter and rhythm. and some of us just want to be friends!

suggests on how one can comment on seriously poems?
without being so darn serious!

when you writing a poem to a forum. your writing to everyone. all this exclusion does suck. most of my stuff is where it belongs on the noob poem links. and most of the seriously poems come from users who never use the site again.

why i am writing this is so the forum can be more inclusive, you folks feel like the teachers i never had post highschool and i only can show thanks and appreciation for patient mods and readers. any feedback on this thread is more than welcome!
Only one thing is impossible for God: To find any sense in any copyright law on the planet.
--mark twain
Rob Cave
The serious critique forum is for just that - serious critique. If you are writing just for fun and don't want any suggestions or critique you post in for fun. If you are writing miscellaneous poetry, perhaps with pictures, sounds or videos, you post in miscellaneous. If your writing has many novice errors (grammar, spelling, line breaks, cliches) and yuo just want a little encouragement and suggestions you post to novice. If you are producing quality work regularly and need some higher level pointers or observations to get your writing to the next lever you post to mild. If you want your writing to be completely dissected and ripped apart and you are producing writing of quality that has been proof read and edited several times to remove basic errors then you poet to serious. Warning, we rarely give the warm and fuzzies in serious, it is a WORKSHOP forum!

So, in answer, no Bunx, you should never post to serious.
Milo wrote:
"Warning, we rarely give the warm and fuzzies in serious, "

that is not completely true. Milo is a very mean bastard besides being a brilliant poet ;-) and Tom tectack is not much better: Oh novice, oh neophye so just that you know ;

if

you are female and can smile like
Isabelle Adjani

you can build fortresses of feline so fine

upon my shoulders

(this just for the 2 guys the young lions: lol Milo and TomSmile

Has not Leanne nailed it that Tom's latest poem
already

IS OK as it is.

sigh

Not!

Bunxman: if it was nt you id say: fuck off and get a life.
you could perhaps .. paint or work with
clay? Nice pastimes
for old anarchists like us

but better would be:
you just post your shit.

cheers

serge
Bunx, to properly critique in Serious we will read the poem through carefully at least 5-10 times before we even consider starting to write anything. To properly write a critique line-by-line, which many people do, requires about half an hour. That's already well over an hour gone, just on one poem. The critique is written with the expectation that the poet will read it carefully and apply any necessary changes after deciding whether they'd be effective or help achieve what the poet wants. That's a good while on the part of the poet. Now, everyone who posts regularly in Serious checks back to see if there have been any changes or additional comments that might add to the workshop. We're not just up to a couple of hours here -- this process might take days, or weeks.

If we're prepared to invest that kind of time in properly workshopping a poem, you can spend five fucking minutes proofreading for punctuation and spelling, or you can stay out of Serious Critique and "post your shit" wherever else. It has nothing to do with the subject matter. It's a workshop.
It could be worse
post in the for fun forum and leave feedback in the novice forum

just read some of the serious poetry and simply enjoy it without responding.
if you leave feedback in the novice forum it shows you're interested in the site and in helping out. that's good enough. we don't expect crit in serious from those yet unable to give it.
(07-01-2013, 12:24 AM)Bunx Wrote:  i feel it is never. i like when poems give me an emotional response. it this alone (expressing how a poem makes your feel), or relating to themes of imagery not serious? some of us don't mind grammar mistakes, if we can even catch them. but others are strit about exactly how a poem reads in regards to meter and rhythm. and some of us just want to be friends!

suggests on how one can comment on seriously poems?
without being so darn serious!

when you writing a poem to a forum. your writing to everyone. all this exclusion does suck. most of my stuff is where it belongs on the noob poem links. and most of the seriously poems come from users who never use the site again.

why i am writing this is so the forum can be more inclusive, you folks feel like the teachers i never had post highschool and i only can show thanks and appreciation for patient mods and readers. any feedback on this thread is more than welcome!

Well, You've read all the poetry here in all the forums and feel like your poetry is best suited for Novice forum or as you state, "The Noob forum".
Serious is for people who have dedicated there time and effort to all aspects including proper grammar, meter, etc.. so that they can hone a poem to be the best that it can through the advice of people who seriously want to offer the time to input on there piece so that they can edit it and make it better. Serious is a forum where you should have all your ducks in a row, your i's dotted and your t's crossed. This is because, people expect that effort from you to present the piece free of common grammar errors. If you dont care about punctuation, and are just here to bring your poetry in a more friendly banter, then I would suggest poetry for fun as the forum to post in. I haven't seen you edit any poetry lately that you've posted on the site. The forums that offer critique are to help people make there poetry better in different stages of experience. Even The Novice forum is to help achieve this goal as this is not a site built on over abundant flattery. It is as stated numerous times by many other members, a workshop. If you want to hone a poem, expect to get help, but you must also give it in return, if your looking for friendly banter, this site has many venues : General Discussion, Poetry Discussion, Poetry for Fun, The Pigs Arse and The Sewer are great forums for camaraderie. I'd also suggest that when you post your poems, to be more descriptive, or to leave a writers note to something that might be foreign to us. For example, if your talking about something or someone exclusively and are unable to get the point across creatively, you could just leave us a hint to what your talking about. At times, I don't exactly get what you have written about because it is very vague or about a particular person or event that lacks certain details to make it wholly understood by the reader without wondering what some of it means.
cool, thanks for the feedback. the rules do make alot more sense, as well as the guidelines. next time i post in serious crit ill make sure to focus on structure and diction.
Only one thing is impossible for God: To find any sense in any copyright law on the planet.
--mark twain
Rob Cave
Incidentally, nobody is excluded from Serious Crit -- but if it helps, think of it like a formal restaurant. We're not going to let you in if you haven't put any effort into your appearance, it's offensive to the other diners. We also don't serve fries with that. You'll get a substantial meal but you have to play the game.
It could be worse
leanne, your making me hungry!
and i just ran out of waffle fries
--mark twain
Rob Cave
On my first day I put a poem on serious crit, became introduced to the site via Milo and his critique, went through the 5 levels of grief.....denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance, and now I'm quite happy to participate and learn. Thanks, Milo, for the quick "how to get going" lesson!
Smile That's the spirit! There is no poem that can't be rescued, at least in some form, if the poet is willing.

Bunx, you have plenty of waffle, never fear.
It could be worse
(07-02-2013, 09:58 AM)Vistaldust Wrote:  On my first day I put a poem on serious crit, became introduced to the site via Milo and his critique, went through the 5 levels of grief.....denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance, and now I'm quite happy to participate and learn. Thanks, Milo, for the quick "how to get going" lesson!
it does get easier Big Grin
(07-02-2013, 11:29 AM)billy Wrote:  
(07-02-2013, 09:58 AM)Vistaldust Wrote:  On my first day I put a poem on serious crit, became introduced to the site via Milo and his critique, went through the 5 levels of grief.....denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance, and now I'm quite happy to participate and learn. Thanks, Milo, for the quick "how to get going" lesson!

it does get easier Big Grin

initially, I think we all are afraid that if we accept that the poem we wrote is bad, people will see us as bad writers. Well, don't worry, we have all been there, lord knows I have written some awful crap and I am very familiar with the sting of being told it is awful crap, but if no one cared enough to tell me, I never would have bothered improving at all, so, in the end it is for the best, even if it hurts the first couple times we hear it.