Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make
i think the articles author hit the nail when she said all those new to writing (poetry in this case) make the same mistakes.
often when such mistakes are pointed out they think a nuke has just landed on their lap Big Grin
i know i went through that phase.

wtf did that bastard just say about my writing...it's full of cliche?
and what does that bitch know......and these feeling of rage carry on for quite a time.

eventually when enough people point the same facts out we get cruisy, start admitting our guilt before we know we've fucked up.

go on, rip it apart, it's okay, or say what you want, i've got a thick skin...then we think
wtf did that bastard just say about my writing...it's full of cliche?
and what does that bitch know......and these feeling of rage carry on for quite a time.

it the stage of "i think i can take critique" in which we're still too thin skinned. we're getting there but just not yet.

eventually we do a bit of reading, not forum poetry but some of the classics, some good quality stuff and it clicks, they were right about cliche and stuff. the next poem they write has 1 maybe two cliche in 20 lines of poetry.
this fact is pointed out in a worsdhop and inside they think.

YES! i'm a poet. they're genuinely happy because they have two instead of 20 they realise that poetry has a lot to do with working, learning and trying to improve, they get it that not everything is good poetry, they start seeing the bad parts in other peoples poetry and try to steer clear of making the same mistakes. they really are poets. they've grown and learnt to take their first steps in the crafting of poetry. they deserve all the kudos you can give them. with luck and some more work, for every three poems they write, 1 will be decent, out of every ten, one will be really good and out of 20 1 will be exceptional. i class myself as still being in the 1st stage but making headway Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by just mercedes - 12-03-2014, 03:49 PM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by SaddestStates - 03-26-2015, 07:55 PM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by Raakim - 04-10-2016, 06:49 PM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by Raakim - 04-11-2016, 12:40 PM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by kevplunk - 07-25-2016, 05:49 PM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by Duke Doon - 07-31-2016, 05:47 AM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by e_a_g_l_e_p_i - 10-26-2016, 03:56 PM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by gracekent16 - 10-29-2015, 11:43 AM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by billy - 04-05-2013, 01:00 PM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by rowens - 04-05-2013, 11:42 PM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by rowens - 04-06-2013, 05:06 AM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by Castugi - 11-22-2016, 10:19 AM