Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make
Quote:Woe-is-Me Poetry

I hate my life
My heart has been raped
I want to die
Alone, cold, and afraid.

While it is true that some of the best poetry is written in times of deep despair, a poem's purpose is to shed light on a topic or introduce the reader to a new way of thinking, so it has to be about something more than just feeling sad. Writing about how pitiful your life is will accomplish little to entertain or educate the reader.

It may seem unfair, but no reader really cares that your girlfriend dumped you or that your goldfish died. Crying it out on paper might help to console you, but it will do little to bring you respect or publicity as a writer. Despair has been around since the dawn of humanity, and there are only so many ways to re-word "I am sad."

I have no words to express how much I disagree.
Quote:Crying it out on paper might help to console you, but it will do little to bring you respect or publicity as a writer.

Why should that be one's goal?  Surely that is the side effect of pouring out what drives your mind insane and needs to come out, and can only come out in that form, because that makes sense in your head.  I guess then becoming a poet is like becoming a footballer.. practice and rules practice and rules practice and rules. Right? 
Quote:Despair has been around since the dawn of humanity, and there are only so many ways to re-word "I am sad."
So do all of the other emotions and feelings that make us write plays, music, scripts, paint, make, ruin, love, murder, come to piece, go to war.  Perhaps we should stop everything following this massive revelation that feelings and emotions have been around since the dawn of time and wait until something new comes around..

Messages In This Thread
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by rowens - 04-05-2013, 11:42 PM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by rowens - 04-06-2013, 05:06 AM
RE: Five Common Mistakes That Novice Poets Make - by Cannotwrite - 06-21-2020, 09:10 PM