drug tests
I think the two things should be kept apart. If person is sick, or unemployed, they should not be left to starve. If either of those burdens has its origins in substance abuse, that should be tackled, and robustly. A great deal of crime comes from these things, and it is in the interests of society that people should undergo effective rehab, as Leanne says, followed by work, if it is available. It might be legitimate to tax them at some higher rate to recoup money spent, but not in some way that makes work pointless.

I sometimes do wonder about the merits of the very bad old days, when, if you wanted charitable relief, you had to throw yourself on the Parish, and a committee of rate-payers (rates were a land-tax) would consider the merits of your case. They would know you; they would know that you had always been an idler and layabout, or given to drink; or they would know that you had been an upstanding member of the community, who had suffered a misfortune. But mainly they knew that every penny paid out, came from the rate-payers' pockets --including their own! It is pretty obvious that the sums paid out would drop like a stone if that were re-introduced -- and it does show that much is lost when things are handed over to the state, and its officials, who have very little interest in anything other than getting through the day. Just a thought.....and the words 'You'll end up in the work-house' still resonate with me and my siblings!

Messages In This Thread
drug tests - by billy - 08-30-2011, 12:10 PM
RE: drug tests - by addy - 09-01-2011, 12:20 PM
RE: drug tests - by Leanne - 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM
RE: drug tests - by abu nuwas - 09-04-2011, 08:52 AM
RE: drug tests - by addy - 09-08-2011, 06:50 PM
RE: drug tests - by Wildcard - 09-08-2011, 07:27 PM
RE: drug tests - by addy - 09-08-2011, 08:14 PM
RE: drug tests - by Wildcard - 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM
RE: drug tests - by billy - 09-09-2011, 03:39 PM