Poetry Forum
Money in space - Printable Version

+- Poetry Forum (https://www.pigpenpoetry.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.pigpenpoetry.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion and Polls (https://www.pigpenpoetry.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Money in space (/thread-3907.html)

Money in space - addy - 07-27-2011

So we all know that NASA has shut its doors for the time being... and it looks like in the next couple of years it will be the private sector doing the space-venturing, with Virgin Galactic already building a space port and readying their commercial-flight spaceships (all of which look pretty awesome, btw).

That said, what industries do you think will make its way past earth's atmosphere in the future? With space flights coming, it will naturally be followed by off-earth space ports, maybe even hotels and resorts. I'm thinking the mining industry might also become interested in off-world sources of minerals.

What do you think? Any ideas?

RE: Money in space - billy - 07-28-2011

maybe the chip industry, will mining on the moon become the norm, i think in time it may, though i have no idea how
the earth will carve it up between themselves.

RE: Money in space - addy - 07-29-2011

Chips? That's interesting. Come to think about it, there should be quite a few technologies that would benefit from being developed in a zero G environment... and technologies where contaminants must be kept to a minimum in production, maybe?

RE: Money in space - heslopian - 07-30-2011

I like the idea of spas being built on the moon. It gives me this amusing mental image of people having a sauna in a craterBig Grin But seriously I think the main businesses to venture beyond our own atmosphere will all be related to holidays for rich people, which over time will become cheaper and cheaper and tackier and tackier until in a couple of hundred years the moon will become like Benidorm is now haha. Rather like the evolution of air travel. Originally it was a rich man's pursuit, now every perma-tanned family can jump on a plane to some tacky Spanish resort for their annual hols.

RE: Money in space - addy - 08-01-2011

(07-30-2011, 08:53 AM)Heslopian Wrote:  I like the idea of spas being built on the moon. It gives me this amusing mental image of people having a sauna in a craterBig Grin But seriously I think the main businesses to venture beyond our own atmosphere will all be related to holidays for rich people, which over time will become cheaper and cheaper and tackier and tackier until in a couple of hundred years the moon will become like Benidorm is now haha. Rather like the evolution of air travel. Originally it was a rich man's pursuit, now every perma-tanned family can jump on a plane to some tacky Spanish resort for their annual hols.
That... sounds soul-suckingly horrible. And you may be right.

RE: Money in space - billy - 08-04-2011

(07-30-2011, 08:53 AM)Heslopian Wrote:  I like the idea of spas being built on the moon. It gives me this amusing mental image of people having a sauna in a craterBig Grin But seriously I think the main businesses to venture beyond our own atmosphere will all be related to holidays for rich people, which over time will become cheaper and cheaper and tackier and tackier until in a couple of hundred years the moon will become like Benidorm is now haha. Rather like the evolution of air travel. Originally it was a rich man's pursuit, now every perma-tanned family can jump on a plane to some tacky Spanish resort for their annual hols.
wouldn't that be the start of something bigger, holiday wise it started with benidorm, now it's anywhere in the world including that poles. plus now that it's partially in public venture people will be searching for that big pay day when they can create a better fuel that lasts longer etc.

RE: Money in space - addy - 09-02-2011

We were all wrong... the first thing built on the moon is gonna be a fast food restaurant Big Grin

http://mashable.com/2011/09/01/dominos-japan-moon/